Mosaic Weighted Blankets ReviewAug 24, 2019
Here’s the not-so-fine print: Transparency is important to me. The great folks over at Mosaic Weighted Blankets sent me a complimentary blanket. If you decide to purchase one of their products by following a link in this article, I may receive a commission. However, my brand is my name. Just look around on the website, my name and face are all over. I’m unwilling to connect my name with something that I don’t really believe in. I’ve been using the weighted blanket for a few months and the opinions below are 100 percent, authentic Mike Veny. Please do not spend your money unless you feel it’s something you need and that will help you reach your goals.
Weighted blankets have been on my radar for a while now. If you have heard my story before, you know that I battle heavy anxiety and depression. It’s something that is strong enough that I feel it physically within my body, just as many others do as well. Sometimes it really just takes over and makes me completely uncomfortable. And it can cause physical pain too.
It’s been such a part of my life for so long that I don’t always really even think about the pain anymore. But it’s still there. It can make it difficult to sleep at night. I like to describe it as “werewolf time”, which usually kicks in between 8:00 p.m. and 11:00 p.m.
So I’ve been curious to see if using a weighted blanket really could help and provide some comfort.
Basic information on the product
Product: Mosaic Weighted Blankets
Price: $124.95 – $249 (based on size)
My Rating: 8/10
Official website: mosaicweightedblankets.com
A weighted blanket is exactly like it sounds. It’s a blanket that is heavier than other blankets. The blanket has quilted squares and each square has BPA-free, hypoallergenic, FDA-compliant plastic pellets inside. This design allows the weight to be evenly spread over the entire blanket.
Benefits of a weighted blanket
There are many benefits that people are finding from using a weighted blanket. They include things like less anxiety, sleeping better, relief of physical discomfort, and being more relaxed. Now, these are the benefits that blanket owners are reporting.
Science, on the other hand, is still trying to catch up. According to Harvard Health Publishing, “There are really no reputable scientific studies to back up the claims.” They explain that it’s impossible to do a blind comparison because it would be obvious to users of a weighted blanket that their blanket was different than a normal one.
I’ve heard some people describe it as simulating being in the mother’s womb. This is why swaddling a crying infant can help them to calm down and fall asleep. I can’t say for sure that this is why it works, but it does work. The Mosaic Weighted Blankets website explains how it works like this:
When draped naturally and evenly across your body, or part of your body, it provides just enough gentle pressure to release a few different chemicals into your system: oxytocin, melatonin, and serotonin. Collectively, these chemicals relax the body, reduce stress, and induce a general feeling of happiness and security.
About Mosaic Weighted Blankets
I loved the story of Laura LeMond, the founder of Mosaic Weighted Blankets. I won’t ruin the entire story for you because you can check it out on the website here. But Laura started the company because she was trying to find a way to calm her own system. In doing so, she created a product that many people are benefiting from.
If you check out the company’s products online, you’ll see that they are highly reviewed by their customers.
My personal weighted blanket experience
When my blanket arrived I was just leaving to go camping for Memorial Day weekend. So, I tossed the shipping box into my truck and set out. The plan was that I would try using it when I slept on my air mattress. But as I was sitting around the campfire that evening I started to feel a lot of feelings. So I opened the box and covered up with the blanket while I sat in my chair.
BOOM! It was like a totally different feeling instantly. I stopped feeling really anxious. You know, when your heart is pounding and you have that uncomfortable feeling in your stomach. I went from that feeling to an instant comfort that’s hard to explain. This warmth came over me and I could feel my body relax. And it was beautiful.
Thankfully, I haven’t gone through a period of deep depression since I received the blanket. But I have been using it throughout the last few months and can attest to the fact that, at least for me, it’s helpful.
Who it’s good for
When we think of weighted blankets, we often think of them for people with sensory processing disorders, like those on the autism spectrum. I’ve also heard of them being helpful for those with restless leg syndrome.
But honestly, I think anyone could benefit from a weighted blanket. We all experience anxiety from time to time. So even if you don’t have a diagnosed mental health challenge, a weighted blanket could still be helpful.
Because the weight of the blanket is based on your individual size, they can be used for both children and adults. But you want to make sure that you’re purchasing the right blanket for the individual. Weighted blankets should be 10 percent of your body weight.
Are weighted blankets a scam?
There’s no scam here. You may be skeptical. I was a little too. And remember, I’m not going to put my name behind anything that I believe is BS. There’s a lot of nonsense out there, but this isn’t it.
Weighted blankets are another form of treatment.
I like to think of mental health treatment like cocktails. And no, I don’t mean you should go try to “self-medicate” with an alcoholic drink. What I’m talking about is that there are many treatment options, and it’s often a combination of treatments that will work the best for overcoming mental health challenges.
For some, it might be prayer, journaling, medication, and making sure they have time with their family. For others, it might be making sure that they meditate and exercise each day.
When it comes to mental health, everyone’s different in what they require for treatment. It’s a process, not a one-time deal.
So there is no scam, it’s a heavy blanket that can help with different mental and physical health challenges. It’s as simple as that.
After using the product for several months, here are the pros that I found:
- Weighted blankets are natural. Yes, there are plenty of medication options to help you fall asleep, stay asleep, or reduce your anxiety level. However, if you want to avoid medication, a weighted blanket can provide you with some of the same results. You don’t have to put anything in your body. If you’re all about natural remedies, this is a great one to try.
- It’s also ridiculously simple. All you have to do is get under the blanket. And this can be a huge benefit because simple is what you need when you’re dealing with anxiety and depression. While strategies like breath counting and meditation are also very helpful, they require you to focus and think about what you’re doing. With a weighted blanket, you can just head to bed and crawl underneath the blanket. On the days when all you want to do is lie down, it can be exactly what you need to help turn things around.
- It works fast. As I explained above, I could instantly feel the difference when I put the blanket on me when I was sitting near the campfire. Addressing your anxiety and depression right when you can sense it coming on can help you fight it off and overcome it. In order to do that, you need strategies that can help you out quickly, and this could be something that you try.
As I mentioned above, Mosaic Weighted Blankets should be ordered so it’s no more than 10 percent of your body weight. You’ll want to take the time to actually weigh yourself and use the right information when ordering. Make sure you pay attention to that when ordering.
Getting the right weight correctly is so important because the blanket can make you a little sore. I hit the gym four to six times a week. While there, I do both cardio and weight training. And even with that, I was a little sore after using the blanket. Remember, it’s a weighted blanket.
- It’s heavy. And if your body isn’t used to that weight, then it can be something you really feel the next day. If you buy a blanket that’s too heavy, you aren’t going to get the results that you’re looking for.
- The blanket is a little pricey if you think of it as buying a blanket. But if you think of it as paying for a form of mental health treatment, it doesn’t seem so bad. The smaller blankets are a little less money but don’t use that as a motivation to get one that’s not the right size in order to save a few dollars.
- Forget about cuddle time! The last con is for anyone who shares their bed with someone. The weighted blanket really removes the option of cuddling up with them. It basically divides your bed into two separate sleeping areas. Some of you might think of this as a good thing, but for those of you who like sleeping close to your loved one, this is going to get in the way.
- You aren’t going to move around a lot. This isn’t necessarily a con for everyone. In fact, it can be the reason that you’re able to sleep better at night. But if you can’t handle the feeling of the weight on top of you and it being more difficult to roll if you want, it might not be the best fit for you.
Mosaic Weighted Blankets come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. I think this is really important because there’s a chance that you could get your blanket and feel that it’s too light or too heavy. They want to work with you to make sure you’re getting the blanket that’s right for you.
Mosaic Weighted Blankets also sells a few products that aren’t blankets. They include weighted:
I might look into trying some of these other products in the future.
With the smaller size of the neck wraps and lap pads, it could be something that you could keep in your desk drawer at work and pull out if you have a moment where your anxiety is starting to increase. And, as a mental health speaker, I travel the country a lot. These smaller products would be something I could consider bringing along with me.
So with all that in mind, I would rate this weighted blanket an 8 out of 10. I have felt the difference that the blanket provides me and believe it can be beneficial to people with anxiety and depression as well as other mental or physical health challenges.
I encourage you to check out Mosaic Weighted Blankets for yourself. It might work amazingly or it might not be the right treatment fit for you. But I definitely see why it’s worth trying, especially with a 30-day money-back guarantee.
If you do decide to buy one, I’d love for you to share your opinion with me about your experience once you’ve had a chance to use it a few times. And remember, the best treatment for anxiety and depression usually involves a combination of treatments. Getting the help that you need is important, and even though a weighted blanket has a lot of advantages, it’s not a replacement for therapy. But in my opinion, I think it’s worth trying to see if it’s able to help you with anxiety, depression, or other mental health challenges.
Mike Veny is fiercely committed to empowering employees to discover the gift of emotional wellness so they can accelerate personal and professional growth. If you are looking for a proven speaker who can transform your attendees through addressing mental health, team building and wellbeing, then you've come to the right place.
Subscribe To Mike Veny's Weekly Email
Get a FREE dose of exclusive emotional wellness insights, useful ideas, and whimsical reflections delivered to your inbox every week.